![]()
Producer Shailendra Singh, known for backing National Award-winning films like ‘Page 3’ and ‘Traffic Signal’, spoke about the long-standing controversy surrounding Amitabh Bachchan and film director Shujit Sircar over the unreleased film Shoebite. Singh claimed that he had originally developed a story titled Johnnie Walker, which was later renamed Shoebite, and accused Shoojit of reselling the project to UTV’s Ronnie Screwval despite the latter having already paid an advance of Rs 4 crore to Bachchan.Talking to Siddharth Kannan, Shailendra recalled how he supported Shoojit Sircar during his directorial debut Yahaan. Although the film was critically acclaimed, it was not a commercial success. After that, Singh started work on a new project.
Amitabh Bachchan admits he felt ‘stuck’ after ending KBC | WATCH
“I came up with a film called ‘Johnny Walker’. We wrote it in our office and gave it to Amitabh Bachchan. He was going to play Johnny in the film. I took Shoojit to meet Amitabh Bachchan at his bungalow, Jalsa.
I got him to meet Amitabh Bachchan and the deal was also signed. I paid Amitabh Bachchan Rs 4 crore for acting,” he said.
“I didn’t want AB Corp to release my film”
Shailendra said he was shocked to learn later that Bachchan wanted to produce the film under his banner, AB Corp. Recalling the New Year concert he organized, he said, “On December 31, I had a concert where all the big names of Bollywood like Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra were present. The CEO of AB Corp came there and told me that ‘Your movie ‘Johnny Walker’ will be produced by AB Corp.’
I said, “I am already producing the film, I have cast Mr. Bachchan as an actor and I have paid him 4 crore rupees and the contract is signed.”
I don’t want AB Corp to produce my film. I just want Mr. Bachchan to be an actor.”According to Singh, his rejection did not sit well and ultimately cost him both the project and his collaboration with Shoojit Sircar.
“After that I lost Shoojit Sircar forever to Amitabh Bachchan”
“After that I lost Shoojit Sircar forever to Amitabh Bachchan.
Since then, he has been directing all of Amitabh Bachchan’s commercials. I also lost my film,” Shailendra stated. He claimed that the film was later made under a different title and banner.“The film was directed by Ronnie Screwvala as Johnny Mastana. It was directed by Shoojit Sircar, starring Amitabh Bachchan and Dia Mirza. The film has not released till today. Why?” he asked.
Amitabh Bachchan pays tribute to Dharmendra: ‘Another valiant giant has left us’
Shailendra added that after learning that UTV was backing the project, he filed a lawsuit.
“We have filed a case. An international studio has also filed a case. Several cases have been filed against the film. Our case is still pending,” he said.He also recalled an awkward encounter with Bachchan many years later. “Once I met Mr. Bachchan on a flight, I asked him what is it? He didn’t say anything. He just smiled. He is too dignified to say anything.” Ultimately, Shoebite remained unpublished despite a court ruling in favor of UTV in 2012. However, Shoojit Sircar and Amitabh Bachchan continued their successful collaboration with films like Piku and Gulabo Sitabo.
