The Nigerian police said that the armed group killed 33 people in the latest simultaneous attacks

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
2 Min Read
#image_title

At least 33 people have been killed in simultaneous attacks by Islamic militants on a district in northwest Nigeria, police said.

Police spokesperson Bashir Usman said in a statement on Thursday (February 19, 2026) night that the attack took place on Wednesday (February 18, 2026) in Biu community in Kebbi State.

The assailants crossed from Sokoto State, parts of which are occupied by the Lakurawa rebel group, Mr Usman said.

“Preliminary investigations have confirmed that armed Lakurawa militants have entered the area to destroy cattle,” he said, adding that security personnel were deployed to restore calm and maintain order.

The Lakurawa group operates in parts of northwestern Nigeria, particularly around communities in the northwestern state of Sokoto. The armed group is known for cattle rustling, raids on villages and kidnappings for ransom.

Northern Nigeria is embroiled in a complex security crisis where Islamic militants and armed criminal gangs kidnap people for ransom.

The West African country is in security cooperation with the US after initial diplomatic tensions. Earlier this week, the Nigerian Army announced the arrival of 100 US troops in Nigeria to train its army in the fight against armed groups.

Published – February 20, 2026 03:55 pm IST

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *