The UK government hopes to remove former Prince Andrew from the line of succession amid the Epstein row

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
6 Min Read
#image_title

The British government on Friday (Feb 20, 2026) passed a law to remove former Prince Andrew from the line of succession as police stepped up an investigation into his conduct, questioning former defense officials of the disgraced dynasty.

King Charles III has already stripped him of all his titles and banished him from his home in Windsor, amid often-disgusting revelations from the files of the late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

But the late Queen Elizabeth II’s son is eighth in line to the British throne after his nephew Prince Harry’s daughter Princess Lilibet.

The government will consider introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession once the police investigation is concluded, sources said. AFP.

The former prince was arrested on Thursday (February 19, 2026) at his new home on the king’s remote Sandringham estate in east Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Public outrage has grown in recent months amid daily leaks about Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s cozy relationship with Epstein and his apparent sharing of classified information when he was UK trade ambassador from 2001 to 2011.

A YouGov poll conducted after the arrest on Thursday (February 19, 2026) – an unprecedented move against the royal family in the modern era – found 82% believed he should be removed from his position in line with the throne.

Police conducted a second day of searches at his former home, 30-bedroom Royal Lodge in Windsor, on Friday (February 20, 2026). These are expected to continue through the weekend.

London’s Metropolitan Police Force said it was seeking information from officers “close to” Mr Mountbatten-Windsor about “anything seen or heard during that period of service relevant to our ongoing reviews”.

The US is working separately with authorities to “assess” allegations that multiple flights linked to Epstein help traffic girls and women in and out of London airports.

At least nine British police forces have confirmed they are looking into several claims relating to Mr Mountbatten-Windsor – stemming from the latest batch of three million Epstein files released by the US government last month.

Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor – who was celebrating his 66th birthday when he was arrested – was nowhere to be seen on Friday (February 20, 2026) after 11 hours in police custody.

Not very popular

Britain’s newspapers splashed the front pages on Thursday (February 19, 2026) with a photograph of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor leaving a Norfolk police station in a late night car.

Mr. Charles released a rare, personally signed statement saying “the law must take its course” and urging business as usual.

But royal commentators have highlighted that the arrest of a senior royal for the first time in centuries represents a moment of danger for the monarchy.

“I think the greatest challenge for the monarchy in the coming weeks, months, maybe longer will be the unknowns at this particular time of crisis,” said royal expert Ed Owens.

Any charges or trial against Andrew could be a long time coming as investigations continue.

And the process of removing a former prince from the line of succession also takes time, as an Act of Parliament is required.

“Before changing the line of succession, all 14 countries where King Charles is head of state, as well as the UK, would have to change their succession laws,” said Robert Hazell, a constitutional expert from University College London.

Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor is now very unpopular among Britons.

“I’m really glad that no one is above the law,” said Joe Mortimer, 64, who is keeping the former prince in custody in the Norfolk town of Aylsham.

Commercially sensitive

In a November 2010 email from US documents, see AFPMountbatten-Windsor was seen sharing US financier reports on his tour of several Asian countries, among other information about investment opportunities.

Epstein had already been convicted in the United States in 2008 of child prostitution.

Official guidance stipulates that trade ambassadors have a duty of confidentiality on sensitive commercial or political information related to their official visits.

The former Prince has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

But one of Epstein’s accusers, Virginia Giuffre, described in shocking detail in her posthumous memoir last year that she was trafficked three times to have sex with Andrew, twice when she was 17.

The former prince settled a US civil suit brought by Giuffre in 2022, but did not admit liability.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *