Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office by police investigating the former prince’s affairs with convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Photographs emerged of unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers at Wood Farm, on the Sandringham estate, just after 8am on Thursday. Mountbatten-Windsor lived at Wood Farm for about three weeks after leaving the Royal Lodge at Windsor.
A statement from Thames Valley Police said: “We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in a public office and are searching addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man is currently in police custody.”
Norfolk Police have confirmed they are supporting the Thames Valley inquiry.

Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, has always denied any wrongdoing or allegations against him. Thames Valley was one of several police forces that assessed the allegations that came back when the so-called Epstein files were published by the US Department of Justice.
The force previously said it was reviewing allegations that Epstein smuggled a woman to the UK to have sex with Andrew, and that he shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade ambassador.
The force’s Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now launched an investigation into these allegations of misconduct in public office. It is important that we maintain the integrity and impartiality of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

Wright previously said information is evaluated during the assessment phase to determine whether a criminal offense is suspected and a full investigation is warranted. “Allegations of misconduct in public office have certain complexities, so an evaluation must be conducted carefully and thoroughly,” he said. “While we cannot provide a timescale for a decision on when a criminal investigation will be launched, we can assure you that Thames Valley Police is making progress as quickly as possible.”
The allegations stem from documents released by the US Department of Justice regarding Epstein and his ties to the rich and powerful. Emails have been released showing Mountbatten-Windsor sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
An email, dated November 2010, appears to have been forwarded to the former Duke Epstein five minutes after it was sent by his then-special counsel Amir Patel. Another, apparently sent on Christmas Eve 2010, contained a classified brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
Last October, Buckingham Palace announced it was stripping him of his royal titles, amid growing concern within the royal family about the reputational risk to the monarchy from headlines about Mountbatten-Windsor’s friendship with Epstein.
It was also announced that the former Duke would be moving out of the Royal Lodge at Windsor.
Mountbatten-Windsor has been contacted for comment.

