
People hold a banner reading ‘Goodbye Mate’ at a march in Lyon, France, to pay tribute to 23-year-old nationalist activist Quentin Derank. file | Photo credit: AP
About 3,000 people joined a march organized by extremist groups on Saturday (Feb. 21, 2026) after a nationalist activist was beaten to death in the French city of Lyon, an incident that highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year’s presidential election.
French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm before paying tribute to 23-year-old Quentin Derank, who died of brain injuries in hospital last week. These demonstrations took place under heavy police scrutiny, with no major incidents reported.
“This is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. Then it is a moment of fortitude and responsibility,” Mr Macron said.
Seven people have been given preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused have been charged in three sections. A seventh man was charged with premeditated murder, aggravated assault and criminal conspiracy.
Derank was attacked during a fight that broke out between far-left and far-right supporters on the fringes of a student conference where Rima Hasan, a far-left lawmaker, was the keynote speaker.
Macron said he would hold a meeting with ministers next week to conduct a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups linked to political parties. He suggested that some groups may be dismantled.
“In a republic, violence is not legal,” he said. “There is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We absolutely must not compromise.”
Lyon emerged as a battlefield
The main tribute to Derank was held in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups are frequent. Their fighting often takes the form of organized street fights in the city, sometimes involving groups of several dozen people.
Leon’s extreme left-leaning militant groups are fairly recent and were created in response to several far-right groups that have existed for decades. The city is seen by intelligence services as a cradle of right-wing activism in France.
Deranque’s parents also called for calm and did not participate in the tributes, which were not banned by French authorities.
Deranque’s death sparked a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming the leftist France Unbod party and its leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon. Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of France’s Unbidden lawmakers, who founded the anti-fascist group The Young Guard.
A minute’s silence was observed before the start of the padayatra. Some demonstrators held white tulips and displayed stickers bearing the slogan “Quentin, Mélenchon was killed by the militia”. Many men dressed in black, some partially covering their faces, joined the march. Christian Petitue, 70, who traveled from the neighboring Isire region, said Derank was a “cowardly murderer” and had come to honor his memory.
Far left in sight
Opponents of France’s Unbod accuse it of inciting violence and tensions with its militant left-wing politics. Mr Mélenchon condemned the violence and insisted his party was not to blame for the tragedy.
Mr. Mélenchon ran for president in 2012, 2017 and 2022, but failed to advance to the decisive runoff round. Mr. Next year, as Macron’s second and final term ends, he is preparing for another assessment.
France is holding municipal elections next month, and right-wing political forces have used the event to turn France unbod. Jordan Bardella, the leader of the extremist National Rally, called for a common front against Mr Mélenchon’s party.
Criticism has also come from left-wing figures including former French President Francois Hollande. He said the mainstream left, including his Socialist Party, must not re-align with Mr Mélenchon’s party for the upcoming elections as they have done in the past.
Published – February 22, 2026 07:55 am IST

