Being on the periphery of West Asia, Iran and the US will increase their military posture

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
4 Min Read
#image_title
Demonstrators rally in solidarity with the Iranian protest movement in Los Angeles. File

Demonstrators rally in solidarity with the Iranian protest movement in Los Angeles. file | Photo credit: AFP

Tensions ran high in West Asia on Thursday (Feb 19, 2026), as the US continued to build up its military presence in the region, Iran held naval exercises alongside Russia in the Persian Gulf and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei indirectly urged Iranians to resist any external aggression.

“There are many reasons and arguments for a strike against Iran,” White House press secretary Carolyn Leavitt said in Washington, adding that “it would be very smart for Iran to strike a deal with President Trump.”

US media reported on Wednesday (February 18, 2026) that President Donald Trump will decide this weekend whether to attack Iran. The US has deployed an aircraft carrier and dozens of fighter jets, warships, guided destroyers, fuel tankers and missile defense systems to the region. A second aircraft carrier will arrive in the Mediterranean next week.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei posted a verse from the Koran on social media on Wednesday (Feb 18, 2026) suggesting an attack was imminent and urging Iranians to resist. “Therefore if anyone wrongs you, fight him as he has wronged you,” it reads.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced on Wednesday (February 18, 2026) that Iranian and Russian forces successfully conducted a mock operation to rescue a hijacked ship during combat naval exercises near Bandar Abbas port in the Persian Gulf. This is the second live-fire drill by the IRGC since tensions between the US and Iran escalated last month.

Iran and the US held a second round of talks on February 17, 2026 in Geneva under the mediation of Oman. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi said the two sides had made “progress” in talks and agreed on “guiding principles” for future talks. But Americans are less optimistic. Vice President JD Vance said in an interview that “gaps remain” between the two sides.

Iran has said it will only discuss its nuclear program, but the US, according to Secretary of State Marco Rubio, also wants to put Iran’s missile program and its support for regional non-state allies on the agenda. The US also wants Iran to completely stop enriching uranium.

Mohammad Eslami, head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, said on Wednesday (February 18, 2026) that Iran will not give up its right to nuclear enrichment. “Iran’s nuclear program continues under International Atomic Energy Agency regulations and no country can deprive Iran of its right to peacefully benefit from this technology,” Mr. Eslami said at an event in Tehran, according to state media.

In June, the US joined Israel in attacking Iran’s nuclear facilities. Mr. Trump then claimed that the US had “eliminated” Iran’s nuclear program. Mr Trump threatened to use force last month amid protests across the country. He later demanded that Iran sign a deal on its nuclear program or face “severe consequences.”

Iran has decided that it does not want to build a bomb, but has no intention of completely abandoning its nuclear program.

“The complexity of nuclear technologies is very high and their equipment and infrastructure are not easily acquired, especially in situations where supply routes are contaminated by Zionist infiltration and sabotage,” Mr. Eslami stated. “For this reason, Iran has been forced to create the entire chain of research, design, construction, testing and technological maturity internally; the path is now fruitful,” he added.

Published – February 19, 2026 09:20 pm IST

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *