Clashes broke out between two sects in MP over the use of loudspeakers in places of worship

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
4 Min Read
#image_title

The use of loudspeakers in places of worship led to violent clashes between two communities in the Jabalpur district of Madhya Pradesh on Thursday.

After days of violence, the city remained calm on Saturday after about 500 police personnel were deployed. (PTI)
After days of violence, the city remained calm on Saturday after about 500 police personnel were deployed. (PTI)

The clashes reportedly broke out at 10 pm on Thursday near Azad Chowk in Sihora town of Jabalpur district of Madhya Pradesh, where houses of worship of two different communities were in close proximity to each other.

The clash broke out while ‘aarti’ was being performed at the temple, while prayers were also in progress at the nearby place of worship.

Officials said the town remained largely calm on Saturday after security was tightened.

How did the clashes start?

Inspector General of Police (Jabalpur District) Pramod Verma said that members of both the communities had earlier agreed not to use loudspeakers while holding religious service at the other place of worship. But this agreement was violated by one of them, which led to arguments that quickly developed into stone throwing between the two communities.

“We have now removed the loudspeakers from both places of worship,” the official was quoted as saying.

A police official said a reminder has been issued in the district to follow the state government regulation 2023 that prohibits the use of loudspeakers beyond permissible decibel limits in religious places. The said notification was issued in 2023, soon after Mohan Yadav was sworn in as Prime Minister.

Also Read: Chhattisgarh District Court acquits 17 people in Peranpur communal clash in 2023

After days of violence, the city remained calm on Saturday after about 500 police personnel were deployed. Security measures were tightened, and police were seen equipped with riot gear and using drones for aerial surveillance. Sensitive areas, including Jabalpur, Katni and Sioni, say they are implementing extensive security measures.

60 people were arrested in connection with the clashes

Police officials also informed that as many as 60 people have been arrested in connection with incidents of stone-pelting and vandalism.

“Sihora is peaceful and the situation is completely under control. 60 people have been arrested so far and five first information reports have been registered,” Inspector General Verma said.

One case was recorded on the day of the clashes on Thursday, while the other three cases were reported on Friday and one on Saturday. The charges include rioting and desecration of places of worship affiliated with the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) party.

Read also: Clashes between farmers and police in Barnala, dozens arrested in Sangrur

A case has been registered against desecration of the shrine and damage to the temple

About 49 people, who were arrested in a case related to temple destruction, were produced before the court and sent to judicial custody.

Other cases were recorded related to desecration of the shrine, damaging a fruit vendor’s rickshaw, burning tendu leaves stored in a Muslim woman’s house, and damaging electricity meters.

Meanwhile, as peace resumed in the city, markets reopened on Saturday.

(With inputs from PTI)

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *