the Married at first sight The franchise has been left reeling by rape allegations from a group of former contestants on the new BBC show panorama investigation.
On Monday it appeared that two women were on Channel 4 MAFS UK – where singles are matched, by experts, with a stranger and meet for the first time in a mock wedding – they claimed they were raped while filming the show.
The first said her husband raped her and later threatened her with an acid attack, while a second woman told Channel 4 and production company CPL before the broadcast that she had been raped by her husband. Its episodes are still broadcast, according to the BBC programme. A third woman, Shauna Manderson, the only one to reveal her identity, accused her on-screen husband of committing a non-consensual sex act. The men involved deny the allegations and dispute the details of each woman’s account.
Former participants who have come forward say Channel 4 did not do enough to protect them. The BBC reported that Channel 4 was aware of some of the allegations before the broadcast, but had told them beforehand panorama All claims are “completely unsubstantiated and disputed.”
Following this news, Channel 4 has removed all episodes of the show from its streaming and linear services, as well as its streaming service. MAFS UK Social media accounts. Holiday company Tui told the BBC it had temporarily suspended sponsorship of the show.
Mavs He is Love Island-esque in its global popularity, with local releases in over 35 countries. The series has been running in the UK for 10 seasons now, often reaching over three million viewers, making it one of Britain’s most valuable reality shows. The final season has already been filmed and is expected to air this year.
When approached for comment by Hollywood ReporterA Channel 4 representative pointed to an announcement this week that it had ordered an external review into the wellbeing of the show’s contributors in April.
“MAFS UK “It is produced under some of the most comprehensive and robust welfare protocols in the industry,” the channel said. “This includes the most comprehensive background checks available, a code of conduct that clearly sets out behavioral standards, daily contributor check-ins with a dedicated welfare team and access to additional support before, during and after filming. The physical and psychological safety of all stakeholders is of paramount importance throughout the process. All Duty of Care processes are reviewed regularly and enhanced where appropriate.
The letter continued that last month, Channel 4 received “serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of former contributors, allegations which to our knowledge these contributors have denied.” They added that when concerns regarding the welfare of contestants were raised through existing sponsorship and production protocols, “immediate and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time. Channel 4 strongly refutes any allegation to the contrary.”
The external review, conducted by law firm Clyde & Co, is now underway. It consists of two components: an examination of social care protocols in place MAFS UK At the time of filing claims, and if any changes should be made to further enhance existing protocols.
“I want to extend my sympathies to the contributors who were visibly saddened after sharing Married at First Sight UKsaid Priya Dogra, CEO, Channel 4. “The well-being of our shareholders is always of paramount importance.
“It would be completely inappropriate for me to comment on very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK She continued: “These allegations – which I understand are disputed by the accused shareholders – are not something that Channel 4 can adjudicate.” We also recognize our ongoing duty of care to all contributors, and the need to maintain the confidentiality and privacy of all participants.
Dogra believes Channel 4 “acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and soundly” when the allegations were first made.
“However, because we aspire to the highest standards of shareholder wellbeing, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new chief executive that it was right to look again at how we dealt with the issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further enhance shareholder wellbeing… That is why last month I commissioned an external shareholder wellbeing review into MAFS UK. She said that this review would be reported back to me in the coming months.

