NEW DELHI: The Indian government has advised its citizens to avoid non-essential travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and South Sudan in view of the outbreak of the Ebola virus caused by the Bundibugyo strain in parts of Africa.

The warning comes after the World Health Organization on May 17 declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern under the 2005 International Health Regulations.
The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has also classified the outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda as a public health emergency of continental security.
In accordance with advice issued by the Indian government on Saturday, the WHO’s International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on May 22 issued interim recommendations to strengthen disease surveillance at points of entry “to detect, assess, report and manage travelers with unexplained febrile illness arriving from areas where Bundibugyo virus has been documented” while discouraging travel to affected areas.
Countries bordering the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, including South Sudan, have been assessed as being at high risk of transmission, the bulletin said.
“The Government of India advises all its citizens to avoid non-essential travel to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan,” she added.
Indian citizens currently residing in or traveling to these countries have been urged to strictly follow public health guidelines issued by local authorities, maintain strict hygiene precautions, avoid contact with symptomatic persons and seek immediate medical attention in case of fever or related symptoms.
Ebola is a viral hemorrhagic fever caused by infection with the Bundibugyo virus strain and is known to have a high mortality rate.
The bulletin noted that no specific vaccines or treatments have yet been approved to prevent or treat Ebola caused by the Bundibugyo strain.
India has not reported any Ebola cases linked to the Bundibugyo strain so far, according to the advisory.
The government said it is closely monitoring the development of the situation in affected countries in line with WHO recommendations.
This article was generated from an automated news feed without any modifications to the text.

