![]()
US President Donald Trump
Amid the ongoing war with Iran, US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he would meet with negotiators later in the day to discuss Tehran’s latest offer, and that a final decision on resuming military action would likely be made on Sunday.Speaking to Axios, Trump said it was a solid “50/50” on whether the US would be able to secure a “good” deal with Iran or instead “blow them into the kingdom.”“I think one of two things is going to happen: Either I’m going to hit them harder than ever, or we’re going to sign a good deal,” Trump told Axios.Click here to follow live updates on the Iran War These statements came amid intense diplomatic efforts in which multiple Middle Eastern countries participated to mediate a ceasefire and a broader understanding between Washington and Tehran after weeks of escalating conflict.According to Axios, Trump is expected to hold discussions later on Saturday with key advisers including Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner and Vice President J.D. Vance to review the latest Iranian response and determine the next course of action.The latest draft proposal reportedly emerged after Pakistan-led mediation efforts. Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir, who acts as a mediator between the two parties, left Tehran on Saturday after meeting with senior Iranian officials.
Pakistan later stated that there had been “encouraging progress towards reaching a final understanding”, although a final agreement had not yet been reached.Regional mediators, including Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, have held multiple rounds of talks over the past 24 hours in an attempt to bridge differences between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and US negotiators.An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman confirmed on Saturday that Tehran and Washington are in the final stages of discussions on a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the war.The proposed agreement reportedly includes gradually reopening the Strait of Hormuz, easing the US blockade on Iran, and releasing frozen Iranian funds. The spokesman added that a negotiation period of 30 to 60 days will follow on a broader and more detailed agreement.However, major sticking points remain unresolved. Trump insisted that any final agreement must address uranium enrichment and the future of Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium.Secretary of State Marco Rubio also said that “some progress” had been made in the talks, but reiterated that Iran “can never have a nuclear weapon” and that the Strait of Hormuz must be reopened “without casualties.”The ongoing negotiations have reportedly exposed divisions between US allies and advisors. Senator Lindsey Graham told Axios that some regional leaders urged Trump to launch stronger military strikes against Iran to weaken the regime and secure better terms, while others warned that attacking Iran further could destabilize oil infrastructure in the Gulf and threaten shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz.Read also | Iran agrees to give up enriched uranium after deal with Donald Trump largely negotiated: reportMeanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and senior Israeli officials are reportedly in close contact with the White House about the emerging deal. While Trump described Netanyahu as “torn,” Israeli officials have expressed concerns about the terms currently under discussion, reportedly pushing for another round of military strikes.In a separate post on Truth Social, Trump announced that an agreement had been “largely” negotiated between the United States, Iran and several allied countries.In the post, Trump said he had a “very good call” with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain regarding what he described as a “peace memorandum of understanding.”“An agreement has been substantially negotiated and is being finalized between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and various other countries, as listed,” Trump wrote.
He also revealed that he spoke separately with Netanyahu and said the conversation went “very well.”Trump added that the final aspects of the agreement are still under discussion and will be announced soon. He also noted that reopening the Strait of Hormuz would form a key part of the deal.This diplomatic achievement comes after months of escalating military tensions and pressures in the region. US Central Command recently announced that it had redirected about 100 commercial ships during a naval blockade targeting Iranian ports as part of efforts to economically pressure Tehran.
