Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday expressed grief over the loss of lives in a coal mine accident in China’s Shanxi province, and conveyed his condolences to President Xi Jinping and the Chinese people after a gas explosion killed at least 90 miners.
Official media in Beijing reported that 201 miners have been rescued so far following the explosion in a coal mine in northern China. China Central Television reported that the explosion occurred late Friday in the city of Changji, Shaanxi Province, and is being investigated.
Modi said in a post on X: “I am saddened by the loss of lives in a mining accident in Shanxi Province, China. On behalf of the people of India, I extend my condolences to President Xi Jinping and the people of China. I hope the bereaved families find strength in this tragic hour. We pray for the early and safe recovery of all the remaining missing persons.”
This accident is the worst coal mine disaster in China since 2009, when an explosion in Heilongjiang province killed 108 people. Under Chinese regulations, the latest explosion exceeds the threshold of 30 deaths required to be classified as a very serious accident, the highest category for industrial disasters in the country.
Following the incident, President Xi Jinping called for lessons to be drawn from the tragedy and urged stronger hazard inspections, stricter risk controls and increased vigilance during the flood season. Premier Li Qiang also called for transparent disclosure of information and stricter enforcement of safety responsibilities across key sectors, according to Xinhua News Agency.
Coal remains a major part of China’s energy mix, supporting power generation and industrial activity amid strong demand and limited alternatives in the short term.
Stricter safety inspections in Shanxi, China’s largest coal production hub, could impact near-term supply and support prices, while broader inspections could impact overall coal production, reports said.
(With inputs from Bloomberg)
