Why did Trump stop new Iranian strikes a few hours before they were launched?

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
5 Min Read

Why did Trump stop new Iranian strikes a few hours before they were launched?

US President Donald Trump postponed the resumption of military strikes on Iran after pressure from Gulf allies and ongoing diplomatic efforts. This comes despite his saying that US forces are “ready to begin” operations.Speaking at the White House on Tuesday, Trump said he had decided to give Tehran a “limited period of time” to reach an acceptable agreement before allowing further attacks. CNN reported, quoting Trump: “I would say two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or something, maybe early next week.”The decision represents the latest shift in Trump’s approach toward Iran, after he indicated he was close to agreeing to new military action.

“They are loaded to the max,” Trump said of US warships deployed in the region. “And we were all ready to get started.”According to the report, the US military has already prepared detailed plans for a renewed, multi-stage air campaign against Iran, including specific targets and operational phases. Trump reviewed military options with Vice President J.D. Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and Special Envoy Steve Witkoff at his golf club in Virginia after returning from China over the weekend.

CNN reported that a person familiar with the discussions said that Trump considered striking additional Iranian targets after becoming frustrated with the slow progress in the negotiations.However, Gulf leaders intervened as the United States moved closer to military action. Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates separately urged Washington to halt strikes and allow more time for diplomatic channels.Gulf states fear that renewed conflict will spark Iranian retaliation against critical energy infrastructure and further destabilize the region.

Some countries have also warned that they may impose stricter restrictions on the US military’s access to bases and airspace if attacks resume.Trump acknowledged that concerns about Iranian retaliation remain. “They still have a little capability,” he said of Iran’s military capabilities. “Not much, but they have a few.”Saudi Arabia briefly restricted US access to bases and airspace during a previous operation linked to the Strait of Hormuz before the pause was lifted after Trump suspended the mission.The Gulf states also pointed to ongoing mediation efforts led by Pakistan and the importance of the Hajj season as reasons to avoid escalation. A regional official said Gulf leaders presented a “united front” in their appeals for restraint.Trump said those calls ultimately influenced his decision. “I made the decision,” he said. “So they called me, heard that I made the decision, and said, ‘Sir, can you give us a few more days?’ Because we think they make sense.”Despite the temporary pause, military plans remain active. Commanders can launch operations at short notice, and the campaign can be renamed from “Operation Epic Fury” to “Operation Hammer.” The proposed name change may also have legal implications. Resuming operations under a new name would likely reset the 60-day clock under the War Powers Act, which governs congressional approval of military action.Defense Minister Pete Hegseth said earlier that the ceasefire announced in April effectively halted that timetable. He added: “With a ceasefire, the clock stops. If it is resumed, this will be the president’s decision.” “This option is always there, and Iran knows it.”While Trump has repeatedly insisted that diplomacy is still possible, there have been few public indications that Tehran has softened its stance on key disputes, including uranium enrichment and maintaining its stockpile of near weapons-grade uranium.Vice President J.D. Vance acknowledged that negotiations remain uncertain. “You negotiate with people, and sometimes you feel like you’re making progress, and sometimes you feel like you’re not making progress,” he said. “What I think is that the Iranians want to make a deal.”

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *