Iran recently built a concrete shield and covered it in soil over a new facility at a sensitive military site, experts say, as experts say Israel is pushing ahead with work on a site it reportedly bombed in 2024 amid tensions with the United States.
The images also show that Iran has buried tunnel entrances to a nuclear site the US bombed during Israel’s 12-day war with Iran last year, and repaired fortified tunnel gates and missile bases near another that were hit in the conflict.
They offer a glimpse of Iran’s activities in some of the places at the center of tensions with Israel and the US, with Washington trying to reach a deal with Tehran over its nuclear program but threatening military action if talks fail.
Here are some pictures showing the changes:
Parchin Military Complex
Located 30 km (20 mi) southeast of Tehran, the Parchin complex is one of Iran’s most sensitive military sites. Western intelligence has indicated that Tehran conducted tests related to nuclear bomb explosions two decades ago.
Iran has always denied seeking nuclear weapons.
Israel reportedly hit Parchin in October 2024.
Satellite images taken before and after the attack show extensive damage to a rectangular building in Parchin, and reconstruction is evident in images from November 6, 2024.

The Parchin complex is one of Iran’s most sensitive military sites. | Photo credit: Reuters
An image from October 12, 2025 shows development on the site, with the skeleton of the new structure visible and two smaller structures adjacent to it. Progress is evident in images from November 14, with a metal roof covering the large structure visible.
But images from December 13 show the facility partially covered. As of February 16, it will no longer be hidden by what experts say is a concrete structure.
The Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS), in an analysis of satellite imagery dated January 22, indicated progress in the construction of a “concrete sarcophagus” around a newly constructed facility at the site, identified as Taleghan 2.
Images reported by ISIS in November showed “continuing construction and what appeared to be a long, cylindrical chamber, possibly a container containing high-explosives, approximately 36 meters long and 12 meters in diameter placed inside the building”.
“High-explosive containment vessels are critical to the development of nuclear weapons,” ISIS added, “but can also be used in many other conventional weapons development processes.”

William Goodhind, a forensic imagery analyst with Contested Ground, said the roof had a similar color to the surrounding area: “It was most likely covered in dust to obscure the color of the concrete.”
ISIS founder David Albright wrote in X: “Holding off talks has its advantages: For the past two to three weeks, Iran has been busy burying a new Taleghan 2 facility … more soil is available and the facility may soon become a completely undetected bunker, providing substantial protection from airstrikes.”
The tunnel entrances are buried at the Isfahan Nuclear Complex
The Isfahan complex was one of three Iranian uranium-refining plants bombed by the United States in June.
In addition to facilities that are part of the nuclear fuel cycle, Isfahan has an underground area where diplomats say Iran’s enriched uranium is stored.
Satellite images taken in late January showed renewed efforts to bury two tunnel entrances at the complex, ISIS reported on January 29. In a February 9 update, ISIS said the third entrance had also been backfilled with soil, meaning all entrances to the tunnel complex were now “completely buried”.
The Feb. 10 photo shows three tunnels buried, Goodhind said.
ISIS reported on February 9 that “refilling the tunnel entrances will help mitigate any potential airstrikes and provide ground access for special forces to seize or destroy any highly enriched uranium placed inside the complex”.
Tunnel entrances have been reinforced in the complex near the Natanj site
ISIS reported that satellite images indicated ongoing efforts since February 10 to “harden and defensively strengthen” two entrances to a tunnel complex under a mountain 2 km (1.2 miles) from Natanz that houses Iran’s other two uranium refineries.

The imagery is “dum P shows ongoing activity throughout the complex associated with this effort, including the movement of several vehicles, including trucks, cement mixers and other heavy equipment,” ISIS wrote.
ISIS said Iran’s plans for the facility, known as Pickaxe Mountain, are unclear.
Shiraz is a southern missile base
Located 10 km (6 miles) south of Shiraz in southern Iran, it is one of 25 bases capable of launching medium-range ballistic missiles, according to the Alma Research and Education Center, an Israeli organization. Alma estimates that the site suffered light, above-ground damage during last year’s war.

Shiraz, in southern Iran, is one of 25 bases capable of launching medium-range ballistic missiles. | Photo credit: Reuters
A comparison of images taken on July 3, 2025 and Jan. 30 shows reconstruction and clearance efforts at the main logistics and possibly command compound at the base, Goodhind said.
“The important takeaway is that the compound has yet to return to its full operational capacity from before the airstrikes.”
Qom Missile Base
According to Alma, about 40 km north of the city of Qom, the settlement suffered moderate damage from the ground.
A comparison of images taken between July 16, 2025 and February 1 shows a new roof on the damaged building. Repairs to the roof apparently began on November 17 and are expected to be completed in 10 days, Goodind said.

