New York’s governor has withdrawn a proposal to expand robotaxi to cities outside the Big Apple

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
2 Min Read
#image_title

New York Gov. Cathy Hochul has dropped a proposal to allow commercial robotaxi services in small cities outside of New York City, the governor’s spokeswoman said Thursday.

“Based on conversations with stakeholders, including the Legislature, it is clear that there is no support for moving forward with this proposal,” the spokesperson said.

The move comes as a blow to Alphabet’s Waymo, which last year received the first permit to begin testing its autonomous vehicles in New York City, albeit with a trained expert behind the wheel. Because the permit is still in effect and Hochul’s scrapped proposal governs areas outside the Big Apple, Waymo’s plans for New York City are still likely to move forward.

The Alphabet subsidiary, which offers paid driverless rides to people in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin, Atlanta and other cities in the San Francisco Bay Area, hopes to build on its already significant presence in the robotaxi market.

“While we are disappointed by the governor’s decision, we are committed to bringing our service to New York and will work with the state legislature to move this issue forward,” a Waymo spokesperson said. “We’ve heard from thousands of New Yorkers who have experienced Waymo in other cities and want to access it at home.”

Self-driving operations are already facing a tough road to commercialization as the technology comes under heavy scrutiny over safety concerns after accidents, though Waymo’s safety record doesn’t include major injuries like General Motors’ Cruise, which was shut down after dragging a woman through an intersection in San Francisco.

“Autonomous vehicles are already reducing crash rates and improving pedestrian safety in Arizona, California and Texas. It’s disappointing that Governor Hochul is withdrawing his proposal because New Yorkers deserve the same proven protections,” said Chamber of Progress CEO, Adam Kovacevich.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *