![]()
The World Health Organization’s Africa director warned Friday against underestimating the risks posed by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and neighboring Uganda, saying just one case could lead to wider transmission of the disease beyond affected countries.Muhammad Yaqoub Al-Janabi told Reuters in Geneva that it would be “a big mistake to underestimate it, especially with a virus of this strain, Bundibugyo, for which we do not have a vaccine.”“So I would really encourage everyone, let’s help each other, we can get this under control,” he said.Al-Janabi said that the Ebola outbreak in Congo has received relatively limited international attention compared to the Hanta virus outbreak this month linked to cruise ship passengers from 23 countries.“You only need one contact case to put us all at risk, so my wish and prayer is that we give (Ebola) the attention it deserves,” he said.Ebola is a serious and often fatal disease that spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids from infected individuals, contaminated materials, or the bodies of people who have died from infection. Symptoms include fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhea. According to data published by the DRC’s Ministry of Health on Thursday, the outbreak has led to 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases, with 61 confirmed infections so far.
Two confirmed cases have also been reported in Uganda.Al-Janabi declined to estimate how long the current outbreak might last, saying that experts were still assessing the extent of the situation. He said the “hyperdynamic movement of people” made it difficult to fully measure the outbreak.He added that efforts are underway to increase testing, enhance infection prevention measures, and improve community participation.Referring to the incident of burning Ebola treatment tents following a dispute over the body of a victim, Al-Janabi said that the authorities are “trying to fight the borders” – the virus itself and misinformation spreading among local communities.He also said that epidemiologists have not yet identified the first infected person linked to the outbreak.
