Chicago’s mayor has ordered police to investigate alleged illegal ICE activity in the city

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
4 Min Read
#image_title

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson ordered Chicago The move raises tensions over jurisdiction between police, local and federal officials to investigate and document alleged illegal activity by federal immigration (ICE) agents in the city.

An executive order entitled ICE upon noticeprovides Chicago police with “clear due process” if they see or receive reports of ICE agents involved in illegal activity and refer evidence of potential violations to city prosecutors.

“No one is above the law,” Johnson said said in a statement on Twitter/X. “With today’s order, we are putting ICE on notice in our city. Chicago is leading the way in creating the infrastructure to hold ICE and CBP agents accountable for crimes against our communities.”

The order came after a federal judge rejected the order Minnesota bid to temporarily block the immigration crackdown, rejecting the argument that a state’s federal immigration crackdown does not violate the 10th Amendment to the Constitution, which limits federal power.

Chicago’s move opens a different path and asserts the city’s authority to investigate and prosecute federal law enforcement actions. But federal officials generally have the power to block local hearings, and federal judges generally uphold federal authority over local ones, especially in matters related to immigration.

City officials enacted the measure in response to immigration operations that, according to the mayor’s office, “have violated constitutionally protected rights, destabilized communities and provoked deadly clashes when prevented from local or civic oversight.”

The order allows Chicago police to ensure that any body-camera footage captured during the incident is preserved; Attempts to locate a federal supervisory officer at the scene; and report violations of state or local law by federal agents.

Cook County’s state’s attorney’s office said it is “committed to protecting public safety, accountability and upholding the rule of law with our law enforcement partners.”

The order comes amid concerns in Chicago that ICE operations in the city could increase as operations begin to wind down in Minneapolis. Trump administration It is suggested that it will be subject to local cooperation.

Johnson signed an executive order in October that sought to limit where federal agents could gather, declaring city-owned or controlled parking lots, vacant lots and garages as “ICE-free” zones.

Last week, he called for a national civil rights movement in response to federal immigration measures.

“This moment calls for courage — not some kind of pragmatic pragmatism for a tyrant,” he said. “In fact, we got into this mess in the first place. It’s because we’re so stupid. We as Democrats are fidgeting around the edges, and instead of fighting and standing up for the interests of working people, we’ve caved in to corporations and the super-rich.”

His administration is looking for ways to “not only bring charges and investigations against federal overreach, but create a process that allows for the prosecution of these people.”

On Saturday, Donald Trump warned that he would not send federal aid to quell protests in “poorly run” Democratic cities unless they ask for help.

“I have directed Homeland Security Secretary Kristy Noem that under no circumstances will we engage in various poorly run Democrat cities with respect to their protests and/or riots, and until they ask us for assistance,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

“Nevertheless, we will defend and do so with great force at any and all federal buildings that may be attacked by these overpaid lunatics, agitators and rebels,” he added.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *