
Image is for representation purposes only. Fireworks at midnight on the moon have become customary in China, but fireworks have been banned in many places in recent years. | Photo credit: AFP
An explosion and fire at a fireworks shop in eastern China killed eight people and two others died of minor burns ahead of the Lunar New Year, authorities said.
An explosion in a village in Jiangsu province on Sunday afternoon (Feb 15, 2026) was caused by improperly fired fireworks near a resident’s shop, the Donghai county government said in a statement. No further details were provided on what happened.
A fire at a high-rise in Hong Kong has claimed 44 lives and left hundreds missing
It is customary in China to set off firecrackers at midnight on Lunar New Year, but in recent years fireworks have been banned in many places due to air pollution.
They may return in some places after some governments eased their bans last year.
Lunar New Year, also known as the Spring Festival in China, falls on Tuesday (February 17, 2026). It marks the beginning of the year of the horse in the Chinese zodiac.
Also Read | Two people were killed in an explosion at a steel plate factory in China’s Inner Mongolia region
After Sunday’s (February 15, 2026) explosion, the Ministry of Emergency Management asked all regions to strengthen supervision of the production, transportation, sale and use of fireworks to prevent future accidents.
A ministry statement said fireworks and firecrackers around shops are strictly prohibited and local governments have been asked to identify and remove blind spots “so that people can celebrate a safe, auspicious and happy Spring Festival”.
Published – February 16, 2026 10:28 am IST

