“Not a negotiating document”: India clarifies about signing a UN statement condemning Israeli expansion in the West Bank

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read

“Not a negotiating document”: India clarifies about signing a UN statement condemning Israeli expansion in the West Bank

MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal (ANI Image)

NEW DELHI: The UN joint statement signed by India is not a “negotiating document” condemning Israeli expansion in the West Bank, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Friday.The Foreign Ministry said that New Delhi’s position on the issue of expansion had already been expressed in the India-Arab League ministerial meeting that laid out a broader vision for deeper relations between the two sides, aiming to establish a sovereign and viable Palestinian state living side by side with Israel. The meeting also stressed the necessity of managing international relations on the basis of the United Nations Charter.Indian news agency ANI quoted Middle East Airlines spokesman Randhir Jaiswal as saying, “The aforementioned statement was not a negotiating document. Our position on this particular issue was expressed in the joint statement of the Indo-Arab ministerial meeting.”The bureaucrat’s statement widely indicates that India was not involved in drafting or approving that particular joint statement condemning Israeli expansion in the West Bank. Therefore, it does not reflect the officially agreed Indian diplomatic position.India was among more than 100 countries and international organizations that condemned Israel’s ongoing efforts to consolidate its control over the West Bank in a joint statement at the United Nations, saying such actions violate international law and undermine ongoing efforts for peace and stability in the region.

India backed the statement late on Wednesday, before the deadline for joint condemnation had passed. This statement comes ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel next week, during which he is likely to address the Israeli Parliament.The statement said, “We strongly condemn the unilateral Israeli decisions and actions aimed at expanding the illegal Israeli presence in the West Bank.” She added, “Such decisions contradict Israel’s obligations under international law and must be reversed immediately.”It strongly opposed any form of annexation. The statement added, “We reiterate our rejection of all measures aimed at changing the demographic composition, character and status of the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem.”

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *