‘Why should wrestling suffer?’: Delhi HC pulls WFI over Vinesh Phogat’s disqualification from 2026 Asian Games

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read
#image_title

The Delhi High Court on Friday ordered the Center to constitute an expert panel to evaluate wrestler Vinesh Phogat and ensure her participation in the selection trials for the 2026 Asian Games, while also pulling up the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) over its decision to declare her “ineligible” for domestic wrestling events.

Delhi HC asks Center to form committee for Vignesh Phogat, says 'wrestling cause' should not suffer (File Photo)
Delhi HC asks Center to form committee for Vignesh Phogat, says ‘wrestling cause’ should not suffer (File Photo)

Upon hearing the matter, the court wondered why the sport should suffer due to constant controversies, saying: “Whatever the controversy or conflict, why should the cause of wrestling suffer?” News agency PTI reported.

Earlier on Monday, the Supreme Court had refused to allow Hogat to participate in the Asian Games qualifiers scheduled for May 30-31.

A bench headed by Justice Puruchindra Kumar Kaurav noted that the wrestler had already been declared “ineligible” to compete in the domestic tournaments and hence no interim relief could be granted on her plea challenging the AIFF Asian Games selection policy and its May 9 notification.

The notice bars her from participating in local events, including the National Open Ranking Championship, until June 26.

Under the Federation’s February 25 Selection Policy and May 6 Circular, only medal winners from the 2025 Senior National Wrestling Championships, 2026 Federation Senior Cup, 2026 U20 National Wrestling Championships, and 2026 U23 National Wrestling Championships will be eligible for the Asian Games Selection Trials, provided the events are held prior to the trials. The May 6 circular also clarified that past performance will not be taken into account.

In its notice dated May 9, the International Wrestling Federation accused the wrestler of indiscipline and alleged violations related to anti-doping rules. The federation claimed she failed to complete the mandatory six-month notice period required for athletes seeking to come out of retirement under United World Wrestling’s anti-doping regulations.

The jury noted that although it acknowledged that Phogat was on maternity leave, the wider national interest in sport must also be taken into account.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *