Two days before the re-poll in West Bengal’s Valtha Assembly constituency, Trinamool Congress candidate Jehangir Khan withdrew from the contest, dealing a fresh blow to Mamata Banerjee’s party which had already lost the state to the BJP.

In statements to reporters earlier on Tuesday, Khan announced his decision to withdraw. The TMC leader cited his dream of a ‘Golden Falta’, and concurrently, West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari promised a special package for the constituency, among the reasons for his retreat.
In response, the TMC distanced itself from the move and said it was a “personal decision” of Khan. The party further claimed that several TMC workers were arrested in Valta alone, claiming they were being “intimidated through agencies”.
The Election Commission of India has ordered fresh elections in Valta on May 21 (Thursday), citing “serious electoral irregularities and subversion of the democratic process.”
The election results will be announced on May 24. Indeed, the BJP won the Assembly contest in the state, winning 207 of the 293 seats. The Transitional Military Council won 80 seats.
Valta is now re-polling as huge protests were reported from the area on the original polling day, with some locals claiming to have received threats from the TMC cadre.
The Election Commission of India on May 3 ordered re-polling at all 285 polling stations in the constituency, citing serious electoral irregularities and subversion of the democratic process during polling held in the second and final phase on April 29. The re-polling at all booths, including auxiliary polling stations, will be conducted between 7 am and 6 pm on May 21, the poll panel said.
“Sonar Falta”, “Special Package”: Reasons for Jahangir Khan’s withdrawal
While informing reporters of his decision, Khan said: “I am a son of the soil. I will step down to ensure peace and prosperity for Valta and its people.”
He added: “I dreamed that Valta would become ‘Golden Valta’. The Prime Minister said that a special package for Valta would be announced. That is why I will step down from contesting the re-poll.”
Khan was in the news ahead of polling in Valtha, which was initially scheduled to be held as part of the second phase of the assembly elections in West Bengal on April 29.
An alleged clip of Ajay Pal Sharma, a police poll watcher, allegedly threatening the TMC candidate has gone viral, according to an earlier HT report. Khan responded to this by saying that he was not afraid of threats.
“Party workers arrested and their offices vandalized”: TMC’s response to Khan’s decision
In a statement after Khan’s withdrawal, the TMC said it was “its personal decision and not the party’s decision,” adding that some of its members “succumbed to pressure.”
“Since the election results were announced on May 4, more than 100 of our party workers have been arrested in Valta AC alone. Several party offices have been vandalized, closed, and forcibly taken over in broad daylight through intimidation,” the party said in a post on the X website, while claiming the IEC “turned a blind eye” to its complaints.
TMC also said that its workers “remain resilient and continue to resist the intimidation practiced by the BJP through agencies and management”. She “strongly” condemned those who she said had chosen to “stay away from the field.”

