Amid the ongoing BRICS summit in India, Sibi George, Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs, highlighted India’s concern over cross-border terrorism as he called for “concerted and united efforts” to combat terrorism.

In his keynote address at the 11th Annual Meeting of the BRICS Counter-Terrorism Working Group in Delhi on Thursday, George stressed the need for a “strong collaborative approach” to address challenges posed by terrorism such as the evolving terror financing mechanism, radicalization and use of new and emerging technologies by terrorists while adopting zero tolerance against terrorism as a core principle, MENA said in a post on Thursday.
“He called for strengthening the existing global counter-terrorism architecture through active, comprehensive and sustained global efforts and international cooperation,” the Foreign Office statement said, adding that George reiterated India’s commitment to further deepen cooperation with BRICS member states for a world free of terrorism.
George, among other senior officials, accompanied Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his five-nation tour – the UAE, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands and Italy – which concluded on Wednesday.
George briefed the press during Prime Minister Modi’s trip to Europe and even took questions from Norwegian journalist Helle Laing, who confronted Modi for not taking questions from the press at a joint press conference with his Norwegian counterpart last week.
At a press conference held by the MEA, Ling questioned George and asked him why India should be trusted in light of its alleged human rights violations. However, George categorically rejected these accusations and highlighted the country’s constitutional values of justice, liberty and freedom of expression.
The senior diplomat was addressing a press conference on Monday evening to brief the media on the bilateral talks held by Prime Minister Modi with Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Sture. Modi was in Oslo to attend the third India-North India summit.
Earlier, Ling tried unsuccessfully to ask the Indian Prime Minister a question after he and Storr made their media statements. The media was told that the two leaders would not take questions at the joint interaction.
Subsequently, the Indian Embassy in Norway responded to Ling’s social media post on the issue and said that she was “highly welcome to come and ask your questions” at a press conference organized by the mission.

