Health Minister reviews Ebola preparedness with states, says no case in India yet

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read
#image_title

The Union Health Minister held a high-level review meeting with the states on Wednesday to take stock of preparedness and response measures in relation to the Ebola virus disease (EVD), according to people familiar with the matter.

During the meeting, states and union territories were advised to ensure preparedness at all levels.
During the meeting, states and union territories were advised to ensure preparedness at all levels.

Health Minister Punya Salila Srivastava discussed the measures with health ministers of all states and union territories.

The Ministry of Health confirmed that no case of Ebola virus disease has been reported in India so far. However, following the World Health Organization’s declaration of Ebola as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, the government proactively strengthened surveillance and preparedness measures across the country as a precautionary measure.

During the meeting, states and union territories were advised to ensure preparedness at all levels.

Detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral mechanisms, and laboratory tests have already been shared with all states and union territories.

An official, who requested anonymity, said: “The Health Minister stressed the importance of coordinated monitoring, timely reporting, and preparedness of designated health facilities. All relevant ministries and departments have also been sensitized and are taking appropriate preventive and monitoring measures in coordination with the Ministry of Health.”

The ministry reiterated that India has previous experience in dealing with such situations effectively, including during the Ebola outbreak in Africa in 2014, when similar precautionary measures were successfully implemented.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, although the World Health Organization said it recognizes that the scale of the epidemic in the DRC is much larger.

Uganda also informed the World Health Organization of two confirmed cases in the capital, Kampala, including one death, among two people who had traveled from the Democratic Republic of the Congo to Uganda.

“The Government of India remains fully vigilant and ready to respond quickly to any emerging situation. We advise citizens that there is no reason to panic, while continuing to follow official advisories and updates issued by the health authorities,” said a senior Health Ministry official mentioned above.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *