Delhi HC asks Jaideep Sengar to surrender in Unnao custodial death case

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read
#image_title

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Kuldeep Sengar, convict in the Unnao rape case, to surrender before prison authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor’s father.

Delhi HC asks Jaideep Sengar to surrender in Unnao custodial death case
Delhi HC asks Jaideep Sengar to surrender in Unnao custodial death case

A bench of Justices Naveen Chawla and Ravinder Dodija was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail on suspension of the 10-year prison sentence.

It noted that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025, and since then, despite five dates, the court has not passed any order extending or suspending his sentence.

While senior lawyer Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend his release due to his health condition, the bench said: “Surrender and then we will see.”

“Although there is no extension of the interim suspension of sentence, we find that he has not yet surrendered. Before we begin to consider his request for further extension of suspension of sentence, we request that the appellant first surrender,” the court ordered.

Senior counsel Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court referred the case for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, requested an extension of bail on the grounds that he was suffering from oral cancer.

The CBI lawyer had earlier said that it was not a suitable case for extension of interim bail and that the medical prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his confession was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage 4 oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had shown clinical signs of recurrence.

The petition said that the condition requires continuous and specialized medical care.

The petition also stated that Jaideep Sengar spent about four years in custody.

The Supreme Court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024 for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment on December 20, 2019, for the rape of a minor in 2017.

On 13 March 2020, the Court of First Instance sentenced Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaydeep Sengar, to 10 years’ rigorous imprisonment, and also imposed a fine of $10 thousand pounds, in the case of the death of the rape survivor’s father while in detention.

The survivor’s father was arrested, at the request of the accused, under the Arms Act, and died in custody on April 9, 2018, due to police brutality.

The court said that no leniency could be shown in the killing of the family’s sole breadwinner.

This article was generated from an automated news feed without any modifications to the text.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *