The West Bengal government has scaled back security arrangements for several political leaders, former officials and other prominent individuals, withdrawing home guards and reducing police deployment after reviewing threat perceptions, official sources said on Sunday.

The latest round of rationalization comes days after the state government reduced security arrangements for several prominent figures, including Trinamool Congress national general secretary Abhishek Banerjee, following a change of guard in the state.
In accordance with recent official guidance, security arrangements for a number of VIPs have been re-evaluated and reviewed based on new analysis of threat perceptions.
Also Read: BJP claims fake votes cast by TMC are documents found in party offices
Those whose security cover has been reduced include Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Banerjee, former minister Arup Biswas, party state president Subrata Bakshi, Beliaghata MLA Kunal Ghosh, former Kolkata mayor and TMC leader Sovan Chatterjee, Rajya Sabha MP and former state police chief Rajeev Kumar, sources said DGP Manoj Malaviya, former acting DGP Piyush Pandey.
They said that under the modified arrangements, police guards stationed outside their residences were withdrawn.
Administration sources said the review found that some of those on the list no longer needed enhanced security and would continue to receive only protection corresponding to their current constitutional or official status.
Also Read: West Bengal: Voter IDs and Aadhaar cards found in TMC offices, claims BJP
Kalyan Banerjee and Rajeev Kumar, both members of Parliament, will continue to get the security cover due to MPs, officials said.
Arup Biswas, who previously enjoyed security cover as a minister of state, will not get this level of protection as he does not currently hold any ministerial or legislative position.
Kunal Ghosh, who had earlier been given enhanced security as per court directions after he expressed fears of attacks after being released on bail in the Saradha case, will now only get the security cover allowed to him as a mutual legal assistant, officials said.
Likewise, the additional security provided to a lawyer who fought several legal cases for the TMC and the state government during the previous dispensation was also withdrawn after the authorities reportedly found no justification for the continuation of the enhanced protection.
Piyush Pandey, who was given protection commensurate with his previous role as acting director general, will now only maintain the security cover applicable to his current status, officials said.
The last step follows a guideline that no individual should take out a guarantee that exceeds the actual requirements.
Soon after assuming office, the BJP government began reviewing security arrangements for VIPs and first curtailed the cover provided to Abhishek Banerjee.
Also Read: Bengal government gives nod for handover of seven national highways extending to NHAI and NHIDCL
Apart from withdrawing ‘Z-plus’ category insurance, the state government has also discontinued special facilities for experimental cars. Earlier, police deployment outside his residence in Kalighat and office buildings on Camac Road was also withdrawn.
However, the administration has maintained that there will be no compromise on the security of former Prime Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Sources said that Kolkata Police has been instructed to ensure proper arrangements for its residence, movement and public engagements, and any lapse in its security cover will not be tolerated.

