‘South Park’ planned to mock Trump just once until the response prompted them to change course: “Who’s the bully now?”

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
5 Min Read
#image_title

Logo text

Trey Parker and Matt Stone only intended for one episode of the series South Park to focus on the show’s portrayal of President Donald Trump, but the high-profile rejection prompted them to redouble their efforts throughout the rest of the year.

The Comedy Central show’s co-creators sat down with the co-chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Entertainment. Motion Picture Group Mike De Luca to chat during South Park The official Emmy FYC event is in Los Angeles on Tuesday. He set himself up South Park De Luca, a die-hard fan, spoke with the duo about last year’s seasons 27 and 28, which set record ratings and made national headlines for the show as it took aim at President Donald Trump and his colleagues.

“We were going to do this first show with Trump stuff,” Parker said. “We pushed it so hard, it became, ‘Okay, who’s the bully now?’ It became just a youth joke, like, ‘We’re not going to stop.’ We’re going to do this.” Every week.’ Even when everyone says, ‘Okay, guys, go ahead,’ [we’re] Like, “No, we’re not moving forward.” “We’re just going to keep going, going, going.” When the audience burst into applause, he added: “It became the joke.”

After a two-year hiatus, South Park The first episode of Season 27 aired in July and debuted her version of Trump, who was in bed with the devil when the show showed a fake version of the Commander in Chief with an exposed penis. In a statement issued the next day, the White House publicly expressed its disagreement with the announcement that the show was “hanging by a thread of uninspired ideas in a desperate attempt to attract attention.”

“For me, that’s been the whole season, where they kept responding, and we were like, ‘Okay, God damn it. OK, we’re going to do this more,'” Parker said of the uproar by Trump supporters.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker sat down for South Park A conversation as part of an LA FYC event on Tuesday. Leon Bennett/Getty Images for Paramount+

Stone agreed, noting that he and Parker had been clear since the over-the-top show premiered in 1997 that they would rather lose it all than play it safe. “It was a bully mentality,” Stone told the audience about the mentality of the duo, who are longtime friends dating back to their roots in Colorado. “We don’t care. We don’t care. We say it all the time. We’re not irresponsible, but we’re going back to Colorado. We don’t care.”

He also noted that the duo were willing to use their platform to express frustration with the political climate, despite the potential risks of losing the show: “[With] Last season, the thing that was strong about it wasn’t just we’re going to say this thing or we’re going to go there [but] We will put our offer on the table.

Parker noted that the start of Season 27 was particularly fraught, given the delayed release of new episodes as the duo reached a new deal with Paramount amid a tense dispute over streaming rights. The season premiere aired on July 23, just hours after news broke that Parker & Stone’s production company, Park County, had signed a deal with the studio for $1.5 billion.

South Park “It was either get it done — right then and there, that’s it — or we were going to get a $1.5 billion deal. It was stressful,” Parker joked, drawing laughter from the audience.

The duo appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Earlier this week, they revealed this South Park Season 29 will premiere on September 16 on Comedy Central. Since an episode of the show is known to be produced a few days before it airs, the co-creators have admitted that they won’t have a plan for the new six-episode season until the deadline gets much closer. Parker drew laughter when he said, “We’ll start thinking about it on September 2.”

During a conversation last summer at San Diego Comic-Con, Parker recalled receiving comments from network execs on the Season 27 premiere that showed Trump’s dissection: “They were saying, ‘We’re going to obliterate the penis,’ and we were like, ‘No, you’re not going to obliterate the penis.’

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *