More than 300 military drones and Iranian links: Did Cuba plan to strike a US naval base? –

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
4 Min Read

More than 300 military drones and Iranian links: Did Cuba plan to strike a US naval base?

The Trump administration increasingly views Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence indicated Havana had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed potential drone warfare scenarios involving American targets, according to a report by Axios.Citing confidential intelligence information and senior US officials, the report said that Cuban authorities recently discussed plans that could include attacks on the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, US military ships, and even Key West in Florida in the event of an escalation in hostilities.A senior American official, quoted by Axios, said that Washington is concerned about “the proximity of these types of technologies” to the United States, especially amid the alleged presence of Iranian military advisors in Havana and Cuba’s growing defense relations with Russia and Iran.“When we think about these types of technologies being this close, and in a range of bad actors from terrorist groups to drug cartels to the Iranians to the Russians, it’s alarming,” he said.” The official said.“It’s a growing threat.”

A drone used by Iran

CIA chief visits Cuba amid mounting pressure

CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Cuba on Thursday and warned Cuban officials against participating in the hostilities.He also urged Havana to abandon its “totalitarian government” to end stifling US sanctions.

Axios quoted a CIA official as saying that Ratcliffe made clear that “Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for enemies to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere.”“The Western Hemisphere cannot be a playground for our opponents”The official added.The US Department of Justice plans to unseal an indictment against former Cuban leader Raul Castro in connection with the downing of two planes operated by the Miami-based aid organization Brothers to the Rescue in 1996.According to Reuters, US officials had previously indicated plans to indict Castro, a move that would lead to a sharp escalation in tensions between Washington and Havana.

Cuba rejects these accusations

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla accused the United States of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify sanctions and possible military intervention.“Cuba neither threatens nor desires war,” Rodriguez said in a social media post, adding that the country is preparing to confront external aggression under its “right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the United Nations Charter.”The Cuban embassy also issued a statement on X saying that the island has the right to defend itself against any external aggression. But it did not directly deny possessing attack drones.

Drone warfare concerns and relations with Russia

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and is storing them in strategic locations around the island. The report also claimed that Cuban officials were studying Iran’s tactics in resisting US pressure.These concerns come amid increasing focus on drone warfare after Iran’s use of drones during recent tensions with the United States and Israel in the Middle East.Axios also reported that US officials believe thousands of Cuban soldiers fought alongside Russian forces in Ukraine, some of whom have brought back knowledge about the effectiveness of drone warfare.Despite these concerns, US officials said they do not believe Cuba poses an imminent military threat similar to the 1962 Cuban missile crisis.“Nobody is worried about fighter jets coming from Cuba,” one senior official said, but added that the island’s proximity to the United States remains a major concern.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *