Airports across the United States woke up to a big change Sunday morning. At 6:00 a.m. ET on February 22, 2026, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) temporarily suspended both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry, halting fast-track security programs for the first time ever. This move affects more than 20 million passengers who rely on these services to get through airports more quickly.
The suspension comes during a partial government shutdown and on a day when a major snowstorm hit the northeast of the country, leading to the cancellation of thousands of flights. For many Americans heading to the airport, this has already turned travel into a difficult experience.
Why TSA PreCheck Was Suspended
According to Filmogaz, the current shutdown began on February 14, 2026, after disagreements in Washington over funding for the Department of Homeland Security and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency. The dispute came after two people were killed during federal immigration enforcement proceedings in Minneapolis.
Because of funding cuts, essential workers at the Transportation Security Administration, Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Coast Guard are working without pay, even though they must continue their duties. About 95% of TSA’s 61,000 employees are considered essential and remain on the job.
While ICE has been central to the funding battle, it faces less turmoil because it received funding through 2029 under last year’s spending bill. Instead, agencies like the TSA are feeling the biggest impacts.
This is the third time Democratic politicians have shut down this department during the 119th Congress. “Shutdowns have serious real-world consequences, not only for the men and women of DHS and their families who don’t get paid, but it puts our national security at risk,” DHS Secretary Kristi Noem said.
What travelers are facing now
With TSA PreCheck lanes now closed nationwide, even registered travelers must join regular security lines which will result in longer wait times at checkpoints.
Global entry kiosks are also closed for international travelers. Officers who normally deal with these arrivals are being reassigned to general passport control and customs duties, which is expected to increase delays for travelers arriving into the country.
In addition,
- TSA and FEMA moved to emergency operating status as of Sunday morning.
- FEMA has temporarily halted all non-disaster relief responses.
- Congressional police escort at airports has also been suspended.
Travel chaos deepens amid storm and lockdown
The situation has become more difficult for travelers because several major problems are occurring at the same time. A historic snowstorm is sweeping the Northeast, while more than 2,700 flights have already been canceled at major New York area airports. Moreover, it is a peak travel Sunday with record numbers of passengers. With TSA PreCheck suspended and schedules disrupted by severe weather, long security lines, delays and additional cancellations are becoming more likely for those traveling on Sunday and Monday.
Here’s what travelers can do
- Arrive at least 3 hours before for domestic flights, and 4 hours for international flights.
- Your TSA PreCheck number won’t help you today, so go through your regular security line.
- Global Entry kiosks are not staffed, and travelers can expect normal customs procedures.
- Check your flight status as many Sunday and Monday flights have already been cancelled.
- Contact your airline to rebook without fees, as many airlines have issued travel waivers.
- Confirm your flight before heading to JFK, LaGuardia (LGA), or Newark (EWR) airports.
The Department of Homeland Security said TSA PreCheck and Global Entry will be back up and running once the government shutdown ends. However, no timeline has been announced for when this might happen.
