A total of nine bodies of skiers killed in a California avalanche have been recovered

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
5 Min Read
#image_title

The bodies of all nine missing skiers killed in a devastating avalanche in California have been recovered after days of search efforts, authorities announced Saturday.

The avalanche occurred near Lake Tahoe, a popular skiing and winter sports destination in Northern California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains. There are no people missing after Tuesday’s deadly snowfall.

“We wish we could have saved them all, we’re thankful we were able to bring them home,” Nevada County Sheriff Shannon Moon said at a news conference Saturday afternoon.

Moon praised the collective efforts of several agencies — from the California Highway Patrol to the National Guard to Pacific Gas and Electric Utility Company — and the 42 volunteers who helped retrieve the bodies on the final day of the operation.

“We’re lucky in this mountain community that we’re so tight-knit, and our community shows up in times of tragedy,” Moon said.

The sheriff first named the three Blackbird Mountain Company guides who died: Andrew Alisandratos, 34, Nicole Choo, 42, and Michael Henry, 30.

The recovery of bodies Saturday ended a five-day effort to locate nine skiers who went missing after the deadliest avalanche in recent history.

On Saturday morning, authorities and agencies were able to complete rescue operations in the snowy area with the help of a Black Hawk helicopter. Earlier in the week, six survivors were rescued, eight others were reported dead and one was missing and presumed dead. Four bodies were found on Friday evening and the last five on Saturday morning.

Among the dead are six women and three professional guides. More than 40 rescuers from various local and federal agencies, including Pacific Gas & Electric Company as well as the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office and the California Highway Patrol, participated in the effort Saturday. Difficult weather and icy conditions prevented crews from rescuing the bodies earlier this week.

The avalanche was the worst since 1981, with experts estimating the slide’s path to be roughly the size of a football field, the AP reported.

In calls to dispatchers Tuesday, multiple skiers were reported buried by the avalanche. Later that night, rescuers and teams made contact with six survivors and found others who had died. Teams were unable to recover the bodies due to brutal snow conditions. A snow lab near Donner Pass saw 28in of snow that day, with more expected and more avalanche danger warnings.

“I want to recognize the strength of the volunteers in all search and rescue units that our agencies really rely on,” Moon said. “They are such wonderful people, and it is an honor to work with them.”

Skiers came from all over the US to enjoy a guided skiing tour last weekend. Their families said they were a group of friends who were experienced backcountry skiers and knew how to navigate the Sierra Nevada wilderness. The group headed out to cabins near Frog Lake, where they stayed for two nights before beginning the return trip when an avalanche hit.

They have been identified as Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Daniel Keightley, Kate Morse, Carolyn Secker and Kate Witt, all in their 40s. They lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, Idaho, and the Lake Tahoe area.

“We are devastated beyond words,” the families said in a statement. “Our focus right now is to support our children in this incredible tragedy and to honor the lives of these extraordinary women. They are all mothers, wives and friends, all connected by a love of the outdoors.”

The area will be off limits to visitors until mid-March, Tahoe National Forest forest supervisor Chris Futrier said. Officials hope to make it available to the public after the investigation is complete.

“We are investigating the incident to determine if there were any elements that could be considered criminal negligence,” a sheriff’s office spokesman said. “It is too early to know if criminal charges will apply because the investigation is preliminary and active and ongoing. The district attorney’s office will ultimately have the authority to decide whether to file any criminal charges.”

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *