Livelihood gets a fresh start with the reopening of tourist destination in J&K

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read
#image_title
Earlier, 28 destinations were reopened in stages after a detailed security review.

Earlier, 28 destinations were reopened in stages after a detailed security review. | Image source: Imran Nassar

Tourist guide and horseman Javed Ahmad Khare visited the snow-covered meadows of Yusmarg and welcomed the first visitor after the destination reopened after nearly 10 months.

Yosmarg district, located about 47 km from Srinagar, was reopened on February 17 along with 13 other tourist sites by Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha. A total of 48 destinations were closed to travelers following last year’s Pahalgam attack and India’s subsequent military action against Pakistan. Earlier, 28 destinations were reopened in stages after a detailed security review.

Stakeholders, including tour operators and tour guides, have been constantly demanding the reopening of destinations. In August 2025, Khari brought a horse to Raj Bhavan (now Lok Bhavan) to protest the prolonged lockdown.

“We suffered greatly due to the closure of this site,” Khari said. Business lineAdding that they feel relieved and hopeful after the reopening. He said that tourists have started arriving in Yosmarg and the numbers are expected to rise in the coming days.

Abdul Hamid, head of the Yusmarg Pony Owners Association, demanded compensation for the pony operators. He added: “Over the past few months, it has been very difficult to feed the animals. The government must announce a relief package for us.”

Amid tight security arrangements at the neighboring destination of Dudhpatri, tourists started flocking in after the reopening was announced.

Industry representatives said the reopening will boost local businesses and allow visitors to explore destinations outside traditional hotspots.

Qazi Tauseef, spokesperson for the Kashmir Economic Alliance, said the move will significantly boost confidence among tourists, travel operators, hoteliers, transport companies and the wider business community.

“We hope that popular destinations such as Gurez Valley and Banjos will reopen soon after the snow is cleared, further diversifying the tourism circuit and promoting border tourism and non-traditional tourism,” he added.

Officials said that the reopening comes after a comprehensive security review and the implementation of the necessary safety protocols to ensure the safe movement of visitors. The authorities have strengthened deployment and monitoring procedures in key locations to reassure tourists and restore confidence in the tourism sector in the valley.

Local shopkeepers and tea stall owners have also begun resuming operations, expressing optimism that the return of visitors will revive livelihoods that have been idle for nearly a year.

Posted on February 20, 2026

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *