LWE-Related Violent Incidents Have Fallen By 80% Since 2010, Parliament Said

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read
#image_title

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) told Parliament on Tuesday that violent incidents related to Left Wing Extremism- (LWE) have come down by 80%, from a peak of 1,936 incidents in 2010 to just 234 in 2025.

LWE-related violent incidents have fallen by 80% since 2010, Parliament saidDue to the reduction in violence, civilian and security personnel deaths also fell by 90%, from 1,005 in 2010 to 100 last year, it said, adding that a record number of 2,337 Naxalites surrendered, 364 were killed and 1,022 were arrested.

In a written reply to a written question in the Lok Sabha, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs (MoS) Nityananda Rai said: “Strong implementation of the ‘National Policy and Action Plan 2015’ has led to a steady decline in violence and narrowing of the geographical spread of LWE, which has been a serious challenge to the country’s internal security in recent times and has shrunk significantly in recent times.”

Rai added that the number of LWE-affected districts has declined from 126 in 2018 to just eight in December 2025, with only three districts now identified as “most affected” districts.

Six of the eight affected districts are in Chhattisgarh. Bijapur, Dantewada, Gariaband Kanker, Narayanpur and Sukma; and each, West Singhbhum and Kandhmal, in Jharkhand and Odisha respectively.

The Minister said that the number of police stations reporting LWE-related violence has decreased significantly from 465 police stations in 2010 to 119 police stations in 2025. “The Government of India is committed to complete elimination of LWE from our country as well as holistic development of LWE-free areas,” Rai added.

Responding to a separate question in the Lok Sabha related to LWE, Rai said on Tuesday that “a new category was introduced in 2024, namely ‘Legacy and Thrust’ districts.”

“Although these districts are no longer LWE-affected, support to states for these districts will continue to consolidate gains and prevent relapse. Currently, 30 districts fall under this category, and steps are being taken to ensure long-term stability and inclusive growth in these areas,” the MoS said.

People familiar with the security operations in the LWE area said the intense operation has resulted in Naxalites fleeing their core areas or surrendering to the forces.

Between 2019 and 2025, the central forces, in collaboration with state police, set up a total of 320 camps with 68 night-landing helipads in Naxalite-affected states. Also, the number of protected police stations, which were 66 in 2014, has increased to around 620 at present.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah has set a deadline of March 31, 2026 to completely eradicate LWE from the country.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *