The Congress on Sunday targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over US Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s remarks that India had committed to purchasing US goods worth US$500 billion over the next five years, alleging that the “compromising Prime Minister” was going the extra mile to appease his “dear friend”.

Congress general secretary in charge of communications, Jairam Ramesh, also questioned why the Modi government did not show the courage to abandon what he described as the “anti-people” and “dangerous” Indo-US trade deal, as countries like Malaysia have done.
He also questioned why the Modi government agreed to register imports from the US when the Prime Minister had formally asked citizens to reduce domestic fuel consumption and travel abroad to save foreign exchange.
He also asked whether this increase in imports will not lead to a devaluation of the rupee?
Ramesh said on Channel
On May 21, 2026, Rubio was again the first to announce that the President of Venezuela would visit India next week, he said, adding that this was even before India and Venezuela had hinted or confirmed the news.
“Today, Mr. Rubio once again shocked the country with his statement on X that the Modi government has committed to purchasing $500 billion worth of American goods over the next five years, with a focus on energy, technology and agriculture,” Ramesh said.
He said India’s current annual imports stand at US$52.9 billion as of fiscal 2026, and Rubio’s statement suggests India will have to double its annual imports from the US.
“We have five direct questions for the Prime Minister on this new development – Countries such as Malaysia have declared their trade agreements with the US “null and void” following the US Supreme Court ruling, which struck down Trump’s tariffs that formed the backdrop to these agreements.
“The Indo-US trade deal, which the Prime Minister hastily signed while under pressure from Rahul Gandhi’s shaming in Parliament, saw the Modi government unilaterally making massive concessions that threaten our farmers and industries,” he said.
“The logic of this deal has now collapsed after the US Supreme Court ruling nullifying the tariffs. Why did the Modi government not have the courage to abandon this dangerous, anti-people trade deal like Malaysia and other countries?” Ramesh said.
He pointed out that the Prime Minister himself urged citizens to reduce fuel consumption and travel abroad to save foreign exchange.
“Why did the Modi government agree to register imports from the US at the same time?” he asked. he asked.
Ramesh said the Indian rupee has lost 12 per cent of its value against the US dollar in the past 12 months. Will this rise in imports from the US lead to the rupee depreciating further, he wondered?
“Last week, the Trump administration dismissed criminal fraud charges against Mr. Adani in the solar scam in which Mr. Adani reportedly paid bribes amounting to US$265 million. Is Mr. Modi’s capitulation to the US over imports linked to the relief Mr. Trump provided to the Modiani empire?” He said.
He asked, “Why do all communications related to Indian foreign policy – from the Sindoor ceasefire and the halt to Russian oil and gas imports, to the Indo-US trade agreement and the visit of the Venezuelan president – now come first from Washington, DC, instead of New Delhi?” Ramesh said.
Ramesh wondered why Prime Minister and External Affairs Minister S Jaishanka had abdicated their responsibility to inform the Indian people and the world about the foreign policy of our sovereign nation.
Criticizing the Prime Minister, the Congress leader said, “It seems that the compromising Prime Minister is keen to go the extra mile to appease and satisfy his dear friend.”
Ramesh’s comments came hours after Rubio, in a post on X, said, “Many thanks to @USAmbIndia Sergio Gore and our American diplomats for their efforts. Because of their great work, India has committed to purchasing $500 billion in US goods over the next five years, with a focus on energy, technology and agriculture.”
“They are doing a great job on behalf of President Trump and the American people!” Rubio said.
Prime Minister Modi on Saturday said that India and the United States will continue to work closely for the global good.
Rubio, who met Modi soon after his arrival in New Delhi, invited the prime minister on behalf of President Donald Trump to visit the White House in the “near future,” with the top US diplomat describing India as a “cornerstone” of Washington’s approach to the Indo-Pacific region.
Rubio held talks with Jaishankar here on Sunday and said that relations between India and the United States have not lost momentum.

