Donald Trump attacks Stephen Colbert

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
3 Min Read

Reading time: 2 minutes

As you’ve probably heard by now, Stephen Colbert hosted the latest episode of Late Show Thursday night.

Many believe CBS’s decision to cancel the show was politically motivated, as Colbert often made jokes at the expense of the White House, and the Trump-supporting Ellison family recently took over the network’s parent company, Paramount.

Paramount maintained that the decision was purely a financial one, but President Trump made clear that he couldn’t be happier to see Colbert bid farewell.

US President Donald Trump delivers his remarks at the Rose Garden Club Dinner for National Police Week in the Rose Garden of the White House on May 11, 2026 in Washington, DC.
US President Donald Trump delivers his remarks at the Rose Garden Club Dinner for National Police Week in the Rose Garden of the White House on May 11, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Deitch/Getty Images)

Trump wrote on his platform, “Truth Social,” today: “Colbert has finally finished working at CBS. It is amazing that he lasted so long! No talent, no ratings, and no life,” adding:

“He was like a dead person. You could take anyone off the street and he’d be better than that idiot. Thank God he’s finally gone!”

Trump’s parting shot of Colbert wasn’t a huge surprise.

In fact, the President had previously announced that he would enjoy comedy after his latest performance (this may not have been the situation the Framers envisioned at all!).

“I’ll get a message later,” Trump told reporters earlier this week.

President Trump slammed Stephen Colbert after the late-night host's latest show.
President Trump slammed Stephen Colbert after the late-night host’s latest show. (social fact)

This, of course, is not the first time Trump has attacked a late-night host.

He, his family members and his administration have repeatedly called for the cancellation of Jimmy Kimmel’s show on ABC in the wake of jokes Kimmel has made about Trump.

In a statement to the peopleColbert suggested that it was beneath the president’s dignity to focus on jokes made by late-night hosts.

Kimmel was one of several TV personalities to speak out in defense of Colbert after CBS announced plans to cancel Late Show.

Does Donald Trump have a message for Stephen Colbert before his CBS finale? “I’ll get a message later,” Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews this afternoon. pic.twitter.com/VsS3LKoVxY

— LateNighter (@latenightercom) May 20, 2026

“We’re clowns,” Colbert said of late-night hosts in general. “How much does it diminish the presidency to even notice what we’re saying?”

The Colbert Show is scheduled to be replaced by Comics unleasheda stand-up show created by media mogul Byron Allen.

Trump has not yet commented to Allen about the network’s scheduling decision.

But we know the president enjoys staying up late watching TV and using social media, and his anti-Colbert tirade was posted at 1:52 a.m. this morning.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *