Actor-politician Sayoni Ghosh says there is no connection to the property linked to Abhishek Banerjee

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
6 Min Read
#image_title

Trinamool Congress MP and youth wing president Sayoni Ghosh on Wednesday defended herself against allegations linking her to a property in Kolkata allegedly linked to Abhishek Banerjee, dismissing the allegations as “fake news” and warning of legal action against those spreading the allegations.

TMC MP Saayoni Ghosh addresses a public rally in South 24 Parganas district ahead of the West Bengal Assembly elections. (PTI file image)
TMC MP Saayoni Ghosh addresses a public rally in South 24 Parganas district ahead of the West Bengal Assembly elections. (PTI file image)

Ghosh, who was already in the limelight the previous day after she claimed to have received an “open death threat” from a BJP leader in Uttar Pradesh, said attempts were now being made to discredit her through “fake news” over property ownership claims.

In a post on X, Ghosh denied allegations that she jointly owns a property at ’19 D Seven Tanks Road, Kolkata 700030′ with Abhishek Banerjee. She described the allegations as baseless and said that her financial disclosures were already available to the public through her election testimony.

“People have simply blessed me and I am grateful. I want voters to know that my origins have been declared on my election declaration. Check the records. For those who are trying to defame me without any evidence – stop now!” Ghosh wrote.

She added: “Please know that I will not budge an inch and will not let the matter go. Legal action will be taken for spreading fake news. This ‘Ghosh’ will not be bullied.”

The actress-turned-politician also warned her critics against trying to defame her without evidence. “For those who are trying to defame me without any evidence – stop now!… Legal action will be taken for spreading fake news. This ‘Ghosh’ will not be bullied,” she said, ending the post with a line from Rabindranath Tagore: “Where the mind is fearless and the head is held high.”

Describe a death threat

On Tuesday, Sayoni Ghosh claimed she was facing an “open death threat” after Secunderabad Nagar Palika chief and BJP leader Pradeep Dixit announced ₹Bonus of Rs 1 Crore”> $1 crore reward for whoever “cuts off her head”.

“Whoever brings Saayoni Ghosh’s severed head will get a reward $“Rs 1 crore,” Dixit was heard saying in videos widely circulated on social media. Speaking to a web channel later, he did not deny making the statement.

The comments angered the TMC MP, who tagged Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla with an X, demanding action.

“I was surprised to see a public advertisement featuring a $“A reward of Rs 1 crore for my beheading was issued by none other than Nagar Palika chief and BJP leader from Sikanderabad, UP,” she wrote.

Questioning the BJP’s commitment to women’s safety, Ghosh asked whether these statements reflect the government’s vision of ‘Nari Shakti Vandhan’. She also urged the West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh police to take immediate legal action against the BJP leader.

The dispute arose over a controversial photo shared from Ghosh’s social media account in 2015 which resurfaced during the 2021 elections and the recent West Bengal elections. An FIR was lodged against her for the post, though Ghosh has consistently maintained that her account had been hacked at that time and the photo was uploaded by hackers. She said the post was immediately deleted after she regained access to the account.

TMC leads BJP smear campaign

Meanwhile, the All India Trinamool Congress (AITC) has accused the BJP of orchestrating a politically motivated smear campaign by leaking Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) notices relating to properties allegedly linked to Banerjee and other party leaders.

The ruling party said in an official statement that the reports and social media posts surrounding the KMC notices are “completely false, fabricated and devoid of any credibility.” The party alleged that the BJP had “unofficially” circulated notices on media and online platforms to target senior figures in the TMC.

The controversy escalated after a senior BJP leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari alleged that several individuals associated with the TMC had amassed multiple properties. Adhikari named Banerjee among others, claimed that Leaps and Bounds Private Limited has 14 properties, and alleged that Banerjee and his family together control 24 properties.

According to civic body officials, the KMC recently issued notices under Section 400 (1) of the KMC Act, 1980 to properties allegedly linked to Banerjee’s company Leaps and Bounds Private Limited for unauthorized construction. The property owners have been asked to either remove the unauthorized portions themselves or face demolition action by the civic body after seven days, officials said.

Responding to the controversy that took place earlier, Banerjee struck a challenging tone while addressing the party legislators. “Let them do what they want… demolish my house, send notice. I will not bow down to these things. No matter what my fight is against the BJP,” he said.

Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *