Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Tuesday outlined the Centre’s roadmap for developing Bastar, eliminating Maoist violence and empowering tribal communities, asserting that the region is undergoing a transformational phase and will emerge as a model of prosperity and inclusive development within five years.

Addressing a press conference during his two-day visit to Bastar, Shah said the Center has prepared a comprehensive action plan for Bastar and other Maoist-affected areas on the basis of three key pillars – promoting security and development simultaneously, creating scientific programs for the welfare of youth and women, and preserving tribal culture and traditions. He said the Center hopes to increase the average income of Bastar residents six-fold over the next five years.
Shah said initiatives like Bastar Pandum (tribal festival), which was launched under the inspiration of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, have helped bring national recognition to the region’s cultural identity. According to Shah, participation in Bastar Pandom rose from 45,000 participants in its initial edition to 354,000 participants later.
Read also: Modi govt reorganization buzz, BJP growth: Leaders of poll-bound states in 2027 may get posts
Shah said that the Bastar Olympics have been organized twice so far, with the last edition witnessing the participation of 394,000 athletes. He said one of the most notable aspects of the event was the participation and performance of members of rehabilitated Maoist families and youth from previously Maoist affected areas.
Shah said the Centre’s approach towards Maoist-affected areas follows a clear progression – “from security to confidence, from confidence to development, from development to prosperity, from prosperity to saturation”. He added that the fight against Maoism will remain incomplete until the entire population of Bastar is integrated into the mainstream.
Shah said violence cannot solve any issue and that democratic values, cooperation and development are the only sustainable ways forward. He said Bastar had been deprived of development for decades due to Maoist violence, claiming that schools, hospitals and banking infrastructure had suffered frequent disruptions.
“Schools could not be built because they were bombed. Hospitals could not function because healthcare workers were targeted, and banks were looted or closed,” Shah said.
Read also: Amit Shah says Gujarat should be a leader in the services and IT sector as well
He said 70 of the 200 security camps in Bastar will be converted into ‘Veer Shaheed Gundadhur Seva Deras’, which will function as government outreach centres, providing facilities including banking, Aadhaar registration, shared service centres, affordable food ration, healthcare, education and Anganwadis. The villagers will also get direct access to benefits under 371 schemes run by the Center and the state through these centres, he added.
He also appealed to the tribal communities of Bastar not to be influenced by those who, according to him, had tried to keep the region under the shadow of violence for decades.
Shah, who chaired the 26th meeting of the Central District Council in Jagdalpur, said the high courts should set up special courts for speedy disposal of cases pending in courts for more than five years, adding that the administration should show seriousness in dealing with serious crimes.

