
Trump said a day earlier that he believed 10 to 15 days was “sufficient time” for Iran to reach a deal after recent rounds of indirect talks. | Photo credit: AP
President Donald Trump warned on Friday (Feb 20, 2026) that limited strikes on Iran were possible, even as the country’s top diplomat said Tehran hoped to have a proposed deal ready in the next few days after nuclear talks with the United States.
In response to a reporter’s question about whether the US could take limited military action as the countries negotiate, Mr. Trump said, “I can say I’m looking into it.” Earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghi said in a TV interview that his country plans to finalize a draft agreement “in the next two to three days” to send to Washington.

“I don’t think it will take long, maybe a week or so, before we can start real, serious discussions on the text and come to a conclusion,” Mr. Araghchi said.
Tensions between the longtime rivals have risen as the Trump administration pushes for concessions from Iran and builds the largest US military presence in West Asia in decades, with more warships and aircraft on the way. Both countries have signaled that they are ready for war if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fail.
“We are ready for war and we are ready for peace,” said Mr. Araghi said on Friday (February 20, 2026).
The Iran-US debate
After recent rounds of indirect talks, including this week in Geneva, Mr. Trump said the day before. But talks have stalled for years and Iran has refused to negotiate broad US and Israeli demands that it scale back its missile program and cut ties with armed groups.
As part of the latest round of talks, Mr. Trump said his American counterparts have not asked for zero enrichment of uranium, contrary to what US officials have said. Araghchi said on Friday.
“What we’re talking about now is how to ensure that Iran’s nuclear program, including enrichment, remains peaceful and peaceful forever,” he said.
He added that Iran would implement some confidence-building measures in return for easing economic sanctions.
Mr. In response to Araghchi’s claim, a White House official said Mr. Trump made it clear. The official was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Tehran has long insisted that any talks focus only on its nuclear program and not on enriching uranium since the US and Israeli strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities last June. The strikes “eliminated” Iran’s nuclear facilities, Mr. Trump said at the time, but the exact damage was unknown because Tehran banned international inspectors.
Iran also insists that its nuclear program is peaceful. The US and others suspect that it is ultimately aimed at developing weapons.
Published – February 21, 2026 11:08 am IST
