The state of New Mexico will reopen its investigation into Jeffrey Epstein’s Zorro ranch after a public pressure campaign for a full accounting of the role it played in the late financier’s sex-trafficking conspiracy.
“After reviewing information recently released by the US Department of Justice, Attorney General Raul Torrez has ordered the reopening of a criminal investigation into allegations of illegal activity at Jeffrey Epstein’s Zorro Ranch,” the New Mexico Department of Justice posted online Thursday.
The department said it closed its earlier investigation in 2019 at the request of New York federal prosecutors, who conducted a second investigation into Epstein’s sex-trafficking scheme that ultimately led to his arrest.
The department said “disclosures in previously closed FBI files warrant further investigation” and “special agents and prosecutors at the New Mexico Department of Justice are seeking immediate access to the complete, unredacted federal case file”.
Earlier this week, the New Mexico State Legislature approved the creation of a “truth commission” to look into what happened at Epstein’s 7,560-acre ranch, which has never been searched at the time. It is charged with filing a complete report by the end of the year.
Zoro’s ranch was one of several properties where the sex-trafficking conspiracy took place. Some accused accused the ranch of being a site of sex trafficking.
The New Mexico State Department of Justice said its renewed search “follows the facts wherever they lead, carefully evaluates jurisdiction, and takes appropriate investigative action, including the collection and preservation of any relevant evidence available.”
New Mexico’s governor, Michelle Lujan Grisham, welcomed two investigative measures that could provide more accountability to Epstein’s victims.
“This is a Legislature that isn’t afraid to take on tricky issues, which is where we need more of [US] The DoJ works here, no less,” Lujan Grisham said.

