![]()
NEW DELHI: ADAG Chairman Anil Ambani vowed before the Supreme Court on Thursday that he would not leave the country without its permission to mitigate the argument that he may flee India to avoid the consequences of the ongoing probe into the alleged fraud of Rs 40,000 crore of bank loans to ADAG companies. Ambani said: “I swear that I have not left India since July 2025, since the start of the current investigations, and at the present time, I have no plans or intention to travel outside India.” His lawyer Mukul Rohatgi also pointed out several “control circulars” that had been secured to prevent Ambani from leaving India.On February 4, retired IAS officer EAS Sarma, through lawyer Prashant Bhushan, told a bench led by CJI Surya Kant that given the spread and scale of the alleged fraud involving ADAG companies, Ambani, the prime accused, may leave the country like many others.Following Rohatgi’s assertion, the ADAG chief said in the affidavit: “It is further undertaken that if any requirement for foreign travel arises, I will seek prior permission and permission from the SC before undertaking any such travel.” He also said that he is fully cooperating with the CBI and ED in their investigations.He said that he was summoned to appear before the emergency department on February 26. “I undertake to attend and join the investigation on the said date.
“I also pledge to fully cooperate with the authorities, while ensuring procedural clarity and preventing any suggestion of evasion or selective presentation of facts by the petitioner (Sarma),” said the 66-year-old industrialist who appeared before the ED once – on August 5 last year – but has since avoided doing so despite summons (February 18).The Supreme Court asked the CBI to register separate FIRs for each of the alleged cases of withdrawal of money from bank loans, and said it would continue to monitor the investigations of both the CBI and the ED.The court asked them to submit new case reports within four weeks.
