The UK Government Has Made A U-Turn On Postponing Local Body Elections, With Nigel Farage Claiming Victory

Anand Kumar
By
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis...
- Senior Journalist Editor
2 Min Read

The UK government, in a dramatic U-turn, said on Monday it would no longer postpone local elections for millions of voters across England.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks to local residents during a visit to a community center at St Mary’s Church in Putney, southwest London, Britain, on February 16, 2026. (via REUTERS)The decision by embattled Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s administration has been hailed as a victory for far-right leader Nigel Farage.

The reversal of the decision to postpone May 7 local elections in 30 districts came days before a court challenge and followed a backlash over the delay, which was officially announced last month.

Ministers stressed that the moratorium was necessary to support a comprehensive local government restructuring. But the UK government said on Monday it was reversing its decision “in light of recent legal advice”.

“The Government can confirm that all local elections in May 2026 will now go ahead,” Communities Secretary Steve Reid said in a published letter to affected council leaders.

He added that his ministry would provide funds of up to 63 million ($86 million) to 21 local areas under restructuring to help stage the polls.

The ruling Labor Party is widely predicted when voters elect representatives to their local councils, which are responsible for services such as rubbish collection across parts of England.

The competition being held includes 32 London boroughs, 16 metropolitan areas and six county councils elsewhere.

The Labor Party leads or helps lead most of the councils where elections were suspended, prompting opposition parties to accuse the government of denying democracy.

Nigel Farage claimed victoryNigel Farage, the Eurosceptic leader of the hard-right Reform UK party, challenged the suspension in the High Court and was set to give evidence on Thursday after the legal case got underway.

“We took this Labor government to court and won. Only reform UK fights for democracy,” Farage posted on social media shortly after the reverse announcement.

TAGGED:
Share This Article
Anand Kumar
Senior Journalist Editor
Follow:
Anand Kumar is a Senior Journalist at Global India Broadcast News, covering national affairs, education, and digital media. He focuses on fact-based reporting and in-depth analysis of current events.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *